Sunday 11 July 2010

The Big Issue

I’ve been focusing on environmental issues so far (as an environmental student I have to admit to a special interest in environmental topics) but I wanted to branch away for today to another topic I am interested in: homelessness.

It’s an extraordinarily broad and complex subject that I couldn’t possibly scratch the surface of in one post (or even several). So I wanted to take a look specifically at The Big Issue.

For anyone who doesn’t know, the Big Issue is a magazine that is bought by homeless people and sold on the street for a profit.

In my opinion it is one of the best social business initiatives ever embarked upon and helps bridge that gap between homelessness and reintegration into society.

The problem is usually that you can’t get a job without an address, but you can’t get an address without a job. So selling the Big Issue provides that vital mid step of earning an income and gaining self respect. Without it, there would be little to do for homeless people other than beg – and I can’t begin to imagine what a miserable existence that would be.

So what I want to know is: how often do people buy the Big Issue? And if you don’t, do you acknowledge the vendor or hurry on past? (I’m not judging – everyone has to make their own decisions regarding these things.)

Also, if you have bought it, what do you think of the content? The Big Issue has been criticised for being too commercial in content and appearance, but in my opinion, the better the magazine is, the more people will want to buy it – and who can argue with that?

Finally, before I go, if you want to make a donation to the Big Issue Foundation (which helps homeless people find their feet, obtain housing and generally reintegrate into society) you can donate here: http://www.bigissue.com/Support_Us_7.php

Or if you want to do one thing today that helps another person, spend a couple of quid by buying The Big Issue.  Not only will it help someone in ways most of us cannot imagine, I promise you it'll give you a warm glow. 

Thanks for your time :)

1 comment:

  1. As long as I'm not in a rush I tend to buy the Big Issue. If I don't buy it though I always try to acknowledge the seller. I have to say I don't usually read it after I've bought it... But I think it's the buying that counts.

    ReplyDelete